Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Connolly Team on da move

I love it when a plan comes together - John "Hannibal" Smith

Like Mr Smith, I too get a bit of a woody when plans come together. Especially the potentially life-changing plans that are currently on the Connolly family's doorstep, its knock getting louder and louder by the day, demanding attention. Screw this obtuseness - the Albion Love Den is about to get a wrecking ball thrust through her, and we're taking this opportunity to get the fuck out of this flea-bitten cesspit of humidity and confused boredom and are moving to my spiritual home - Melbourne.

To recap, briefly, on the Love Den situation - about 2 and a bit years ago, my legendary landlord Ray decided enough was enough and upped-stumps, selling this gorgeous girl on to an investment company. He gave me hollow assurances that the company was interested purely in the place as it was, possibly giving it a lick of paint and some other sprucing, but keeping it otherwise as is. It was as clear as testicles on a canine, however, that was not to be the case - with development after development being announced, planned or rumoured for Albion, it was clear that any investor worth their salt would realise they could make a motza just out of the value of this well-placed block. It was on-sold a couple of times (with us being subjected to invasion after invasion for 'insurance appraisals', 'fire inspections', 'valuations' that it almost felt like we were on permanent display), before a development application was finally lodged. Eight months later, and the plan was approved last Friday. It's a matter of days before the real estate agent nails the big pink fuck orf notice on the front door and we do a midnight flit.

Initially, the impending eviction was quite stressful. I've been here for nigh on 11 years; it's the longest I've ever lived in any one place in my entire life. I grew up here. I defined myself here. (Yes, I've cried here. Laughed here. Gotten stoned here. Fucked here. Spewed here...). Looking for places to move to in Brisbane just seemed defeating and sad. And bloody expensive. And so a plan was hatched, after an innocent comment from my Dad over Christmas, to look into moving states.

Coincidentally, at the same time as the housing situation was becoming uncertain, so too was the career. The company I'd been working with for a few years was sold to our competitor and uncertainty was in the air regarding the future of a lot of people's roles. As this new company was based in Melbourne, I decided to take the bull by the horns and stake my claim not only to taking on a now much more expanded national role, but also my claim to having the company move me to head office. And they accepted that plan and we're now approximately 8 weeks away from uprooting to a whole new city.

It's all very exciting and daunting and confusing. While I've moved around heaps in my life, it was always under the watchful parental eye or easy share-house hops with just my bed and a couple of boxes. Now I have a whole house full of stuff, a wife to think about, and absolutely no idea on how to start a new life in a new, almost foreign city. Wish us luck. More importantly, however, tolerate our tale of woe as we negotiate the wonders of moving house as this little plan not only comes together, but becomes a great big annoying reality.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

From Abigail-
Melbourne's a wonderful place for several reasons and I can only wish you happiness there.Ahh, Chapel Street,the galleries the music....
After the initial hell of moving which they say is one of the top 5 most stressful things you can go through and in some cases it can lead to the other 4.I'm sure you'll be fine--far harder to do with a baby, there's always that to console you.

I was wondering what it must be like living in Brisbane; I hear so many different things. What is this about "confused boredom"?
cheers, Abi.

Albion Love Den said...

Cheers Abi.

It's confused boredom because there's always a 'few' things to do, but it invariably seems like you're doing them just cos there seems to be nothing else on offer. (Yeah, that's what she said).

Dr Yobbo said...

Good luck with it mate. At least Google Wave is getting used for something.

Bangar said...

Well I guess a welcome from the Melbourne branch of the Burgers is in order. Welcome. Look forward to seeing you in town.

Guru Bob said...

Yep - sounds like an excuse for a Melbourne burger get-together doesn't it? Don't worry Havoc isn't that scary in the flesh, Barnes is bigger in the flesh and Bangar is even more laid back. Let us know when the big day is - also if you need to know about suburbs etc. I moved down from Mackay to Melbourne about 4 years ago - big cultural and climatic change - but all has been good.

Where will you be working and do you have a place lined up yet?

-Bob-

Albion Love Den said...

Naaww, thanks Bangar and Bob. Feelin the southerly love already.

Bob - not in town yet. Just finished negotiations, so should be rolling last week of May. Working at Broadmeadows, looking for places to rent around Brunswick. Work's putting us up in a serviced apartment for up to 3 months to look around, so not too stressed about it yet.

Post a Comment

C'mon! 'Ave a go ya mugs.